Most people who attempt to improve sleep through sleep coaching just need a solid method and a lot of consistency. If sleep coaching has been a real challenge and you just can’t get there 100%, there may be an underlying problem to investigate. Sometimes as a sleep coach I feel like a detective. Some medical issues that mess up sleep are;
- Low Milk Production-breast milk should be thick and yellowish. If it’s white and thin, there may be a problem if your child always seem to want to nurse and can’t sleep long stretches.
- Tongue Tie-This often gets overlooked when it’s a simple fix.
- Sensory Processing Issues-An OT (Ocupational Therapy) Assessment can be good for all kids. Maybe your child perceives the world differently than we do.
- Circadian Rhythm Abnormality-Your body’s natural body clock is off http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23385698
- Melatonin regulation issues-Without the body’s natural rising levels of Melatonin in the evening, it is difficult to fall asleep
- GERD/Reflux-Talk to your Doctor about this and all these issues.
- Allergies-from environment allergies to food sensitivities, when sleeping things tend to feel worse.
- Asthma-a chronic (long-term) lung disease that inflames and narrows the airways
- Anemia-your blood does not carry enough oxygen to the rest of your body. The most common cause of anemia is not having enough iron.
- ADHD-sometimes is misdiagnosed and is actually a sleep issue but most ADHD also have sleep issues.
- Restless legs-also can be the result of low iron and Apnea.
- Night Terrors-There may not be anything you can do about this other than keep your child safe and calm.
- Seizures-There are tons of types of Seizures.
- Apnea-narrow or blocking of the airways that will wake you up if you can breathe-a startling way to wake.
- Anxiety-With this, Cry it out is not the way to go.
- Medications that are stimulants-of course this will make a difference, talk about the timing of dosage with your doctor.
I usually find that a consistent and gentle behavioral modification method works for most families and there is no underlying condition but if things still seem not right, this is where you start looking. Sometimes I see red flags in your sleep history and we can address it sooner rather than later but it helps to book a consultation with your Medical Doctor or Natrualpathic Dr just to discuss sleep. There often isn’t enough time to add sleep to the list of things to discuss at a normal well child visit.
50% of pediatricians do not ask about and/or screen for sleep issues. A gentle method is the best place to start and then we go from there… Call me if you need help. 602-524-7610 www.GetQuietNights.com